Granada

Granada

18 September 2010

Victory # 2

Ah guys, my legs are falling off and I need a new pair of feet, but we nailed it again: 27 km today! No more 1200 meter ascend this time but just a bit up and down, luckily mainly down. However, I was a bit of a wreck today. The morning started off on a rather jolly note; together with Claudia, the German woman and her friend, Maeve and I started walking at 7 AM, still in the dark. Íts quite an experience to start walking under the stars though. The night at the hostel was good; I managed to get a lot of sleep (pure exhaustion) so getting up at six was no problem at all. And there was only one (very, extremely loud) snorer in the room of 120 beds, who luckily was at the very other end of the room. Poor people next to him though, I bet their beds must have been shaking every time he inhaled.
 
The route was nice today, mainly through the forest and passing some tiny villages where we could have a drink...in the sun! Thank God it had stopped raining and I could finally enjoy a coffee in the sun as I had envisioned it would be. Although we were all joking around during the first half of the 9 hour walk, the second half my legs really started protesting and the last two hours I was just limping along at the back, walking the last painful 6 km on my flipflops.
 
Finally, at 5 PM we arrived half-dead at our final destination Linasoarra (probably spelled wrong because brain is like my feet right now). A tiny village with yet another pilgrim Auberge, and after having a heavenly hot shower we signed up for the pilgrim´s dinner, before which Maeve and I shared a bottle of (shitty) wine in the sunshine laughing about all the people and things we have so far experienced. Like my friend´s attempt to climb in the bed of our fellow hiker after a toilet visit at 5 AM, thinking it was her bed (it is hard not to get lost in a room with 120 beds).
 
Because everyone walks basically the same distance every day (except for the nutrcase that do two dyas in one, and are now already at pamplona), you meet a lot of the same people in the auberge and at dinner every day, so there´s already a bit of a family atmosphere.
 
Right now I am pretty exhausted with stiff legs and sore, sore feet, but luckily today is a short day )20 km), but I might decide to stop a bit earlier in Pamplona and spend the nigth there. But the beauty about the Camino is that you just decide as you go!
 
Now it is bedtime; yet an early day tomorrow, hopefully with sunshine and somewhat healed feet.
 
Buenos noches amigos!

No comments: